top of page

Information for members and carers.

Peaceful Place is a day activities service. We provide transport to and from your home if you are within an hour's radius of Basildon. We provide breakfast, dinner, dessert and tea/coffee throughout the day. We have a 5 star food rating and cater for all dietary needs. You will be encouraged to engage in the activities aimed to support your physical and mental wellbeing. We have a set cost of £75 per day. We advise that you get a care needs assessment which will include assessment for funding your day activities.

Care needs assessment.

What is it?

Every Local Authority have a legal duty to carry out a care needs assessment for anyone who needs help with living independently.  The assessment is carried out by either a social worker or Occupational health person This is regardless of finances and eligibility. 


Why do I need one?

The Care needs assessment is free and you should ask for one if you needs things like:

  • access to day centres and lunch clubs

  • equipment like a walking frame or personal alarm

  • changes to your home such as a walk-in shower

  • practical help from a paid carer

  • day care if you are disabled (dementia is regarded as a disability)

  • moving to a care home


Who do I contact?

Essex – Adult Social Care

Southend - Adult Social care

Thurrock – Adult Social care (Thurrock First )



Family carer

We recognise that as a spouse or carer of a person

diagnosed with young and early onset dementia you

too require support, advice and direction.

Often there is difficulty in trying to navigate the system as different needs emerge. We aim to connect you to the service most appropriate for your loved one's situation.

What Support is available to you as a person taking on the role as primary carer?

The term carer can be confused with the role of professional carer. If you are a spouse, partner, friend, son, daughter, mother, father or any other connected person offering advice, support and guidance to a person diagnosed with Dementia you too are recognised as a family carer. It may not feel right to call yourself a carer when you are simply doing what feels right for you and your loved one. However, it is important to recognise that at times you may need advice and sometimes support.

Our family carers say they find talking to other family carers in similar situations enormously beneficial not just on the advice but to have a confidential space to share with others who are going through the similar experiences.

Peaceful Place have a free and confidential Family Carer group. You are welcome to attend whenever you wish, and you will find that you will receive great support and friendship. We further have speakers from various services attend to present what support you may be able to receive from them. The group meets in Rayleigh Library, High Street on the first Thursday of every month between 10:30 and 12 0 clock.


You can drop in for tea and chat or if you wish to discuss further please ring Pauline on 07760 172 897.

Good advice:

What is a carer's assessment?

Our family carers advised that when they first heard the term ‘carer assessment’ they were worried that they would be assessed on the quality of care they were giving and avoided getting an assessment. It is important that you understand that a carer assessment is to see what extra support you might need to help make life easier and if you need any financial help. They can also tell you about local services and groups that you might like to access. A carer assessment does not look to see whether you are doing a good enough job it is to ensure that you get support and financial assistance to help you in your caring role. 

A carer's assessment will discuss things like:

  • You might need someone to help when you need to take a break or someone to help when you need to do shopping or other daily tasks.

  • They can help arrange training on things like lift safety

  • Help with housework and shopping

  • Putting you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.


A carer's assessment is free and anyone over 18 can ask for one. The assessment can be carried over the telephone or it can be arranged on a one to one basis. Your assessment is then turned into a working document called a Care and Support plan and this will list all you might need and how this need can be met. This document can be added to later if you feel you need more support.

Contact details for carer assessment



  • ( please put Adult care as title)

  • TEL 01702 215 008

  • Southend carers offer a holistic service and can also offer independent advice and support Contact:  01702 393933

  • Southend Dementia community support at this link

'Live Well Southend' also provides details on organisations available to support their website is at this link.




Charities and voluntary organisations provide valuable support and advice on their websites and via their helplines:


Carers often find it difficult to talk about the stress involved with caring. If you feel like you're not managing, don't feel guilty. There's help and support available.

You may benefit from counselling or another talking therapy, which may be available online.

Talk to your GP or if you prefer, you can refer yourself directly to a psychological therapies service, some of which can be found at this link.


More Useful links

Essex Social Services

The UK's leading care and research charity for people with Dementia, their families and carers.

South East Essex Advocacy

Young Onset Dementia advocate

Young Dementia UK

Working for younger people with Dementia in Oxfordshire.

Dementia Adventure

Deliver adventures, training and bespoke projects all over the UK and beyond. 

Please reload

bottom of page